Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Whine & Cheese


Since last week, I've been looking for blogs that 'spoke' a language I could understand. Though I've been following Jane Hart's Social Media in Learning blog and David Warlick's 2 cents Worth, I've felt like something was missing. So, after a quick Google search I did find a few blogs that focused on Social Media in Government. I found this blog, which although it had quite a few postings was quite old - the last posting was back in 2009! I often wonder how a blog feels when it has been abandoned by the author. I know what you're thinking, 'blogs don't have feelings..' or do they?

I digress, even though the blog Government Social Media was a bit outdated, the topic was certainly relevant. I found the posting on "Rules of Engagement for Twitter" very timely and informative. As I mentioned in last week's posting the agency I work for is in the process 'writing our rules' and Twitter is definitely a sticky situation for a fully federally funded program like ours.

Finally, I have found a blog I could relate to with all the frustration that often comes with working with the big G, and J. Nick Hoover, Senior Editor and blogger for Information Week is speaking my language.

I want government agencies to stop talking about all of the limitations that are keeping them [us] from using Web 2.0 tools and cut the cheese already. We've got work to do people!

2 comments:

  1. Brandi,

    I am glad to hear that you found a blog to follow. I am anxious to hear about the topic and ideas that they are explaining that address your personal and professional interests. Let's hear more about the specifics.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you bring a fresh perspective to this class with your federal/government background! How fortunate for your classmates.

    I've been impressed over the last couple of years with the way many government agencies are harnessing technology--Twitter, blogs, websites, podcasts, YouTube videos and more. I'm really impressed with utah.gov! What a cool website--and check the lower right hand corner for the social media connections. How impressive is that?

    ReplyDelete