Monday, June 14, 2010

Can you repeat that?

First things first, it was great to meet everyone in person today. Having the option to meet up online is great but it doesn't hold a candle to actually meeting people. We've got quite a few characters in class and I know it'll be a fun week.

With that said, Dr.Z's assignment to collaborate on a team project without actually being able to discuss face-to-face posed quite a challenge. This afternoon - Darnell, Deb, Marty and myself - otherwise known as the 'Dream Team' started out strong in class today. We met briefly, assigned roles and we were off. Ten minutes later... When faced with a challenge, I broke down and attempted to ring a teammate via the old 'can & string' phone. But, after a quick phone call (on an actual cell phone) I was back on track. Our group decided to meet via chat this evening to make final changes and it became a marathon of edits and repositioning, deleting, and addition of questions and wordsmith'ing' galore! At first, my head was spinning. I was toggling between windows (chat and docs). I was being asked to change 'this' and update 'that'. Thanks to my teams' patience and my brain finally starting to adjust to the information overload I began to understand the flow of commands being sent my way. Thirty minutes into the chat session our communication process became a well oiled machine. Practice makes perfect.

So the lesson I learned today is similar to what Cool Cat Teacher, Vicki Davis mentioned during our Skype session about the roller coaster of new learning: first the challenge is new and exciting, then frustrating, and just when you're ready to give it up you began to see the light! Go, team :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite a challenge, Brandi. I saw that you had a challenge while beginning your project, but you worked with your team to complete a great project..

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have SO enjoyed getting to know you this week in class. You are really smart, and that intimidates me, yet I am challenged to keep up with your intellect. Please sit by me whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete