Personal gleanings on the world and our fascination with technology and its potential to revolutionize any industry or system it encounters. I'm on this journey while pursing an M.A. in Performance & Training Technology at the University of Northern Iowa.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Universal Learning Design: A Trainer's Perspective
For this assignment, I interviewed an educator who trains national service participants to perform community service projects over a 10 month period. Although learners aren't in a traditional classroom setting the method of UDL is implemented as a best practice for instruction.
After reviewing the interview, I have learned that while the NCCC program has implemented UDL in their training settings, there isn't a strong emphasis on technology. Technology is infused primarily through lecture style power point presentations.
If the program had wireless devices available such as iPads, clickers, or other tablets members would have an opportunity to interact more in trainings, making it a more enriched experience. That being said, it is encouraging to see audio, visual, and kinesthetic learning styles addressed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Brandi-- I always love getting your insights on technology and your experience with it in your place of work. Would your organization even consider getting wireless devices to help make trainings more interactive? Do you think they would find them to be "cost effective"?
ReplyDeleteBrandi,
ReplyDeleteI agree that many times we implement the principles of UDL without knowing what it is called. It makes good sense when it comes down to it. I really appreciate getting your perspective on things as it comes more from the "non academia" world. Even thought the topic is was pretty specific to the realm of education, it is nice to see that it is not limited to just that.
I think your initial observations are correct; the most common implementation of technology in classrooms begins and sometimes culminates with lecturing aids such as powerpoint, videos, etc. As a college instructor this is something I too am very familiar with. My students actually prefer hands on activities not so technology based-this I think is the real challenge; integrating individual education in a collaborative setting. Translating this idea to the setting you discussed would also be functional. Thanks for sharing!! :)
ReplyDelete