Sunday, May 23, 2010

Behind the Curve...

Ah, the federal government; sometimes there is so much caution and red tape it's impossible to get anything done :) While the rest of the world has been riding the wave of Web 2.0 technologies, many federal government agencies have been doggy paddling in the shallow end of the pool. Believe it or not, my work computer just recently upgraded to IE 8 (yes, in 2010). It would be foolish of me to consider using any open source applications or server-hosted wiki's because I don't even have Firefox, Chrome, or Safari as an option!

While I understand the hesitance at opening the Pandora's box that Web 2.0 tools inherently invite, it would be nice to at least have a choice of browser - it's the little things, you know?

Well, it looks like there is hope after all, the upcoming Gov 2.0 Expo has great promise for introducing a new model of communication across government agencies. Also, in it's infancy is the Gov Summit 2.0 happening Fall 2010 in it's 2nd year is attempting to bring all that technology has to offer into the workplace.

At the end of the day it's all about baby steps. So, I give that idea two thumbs up!

3 comments:

  1. Brandi,

    I LOVE your metaphors! You are quite a writer. I understand your frustration with the closed system in government offices. I have a friend who is the Deputy Director for the ICN and he has to go to Panera's if he wants to Skype with me.

    Gov 2.0 Expo was an interesting link. That is sponsored by Tim O'Reilly. He is the one who coined the term Web. 2.0. Including links like this add to the depth of your posting.

    Baby steps are important as long as you take them quickly enough to make it interesting.

    Z
    http://drzreflects.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dr. Z, for that was the first thing I wanted to say. You are an excellent writer! I love you touch on blog...you're a natural. And I am completely ignorant as to the working world outside a school district. I look forward to learning about the working life outside of a high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great read! The next time I grump about where our district is with it's technology, I'll just sigh, smile, and say "at least it's not fed technology!" :) My dad has had to deal with government installations for the scale company he works for - the standards and specifications part of the government (Dept. of Commerce, I believe.) They've had to spend time reverse engineering some of their own technology to get it to work with fed systems. Cool links, too.

    ReplyDelete